Meeting Notes - May 21, 2008
Technology Task Force
Wednesday May 21, 2008
Time: 3:00 –
1) Approve Meeting Notes from May 7,
The notes were approved.
2) TTF Co-chair 08-09
Hawk asked the team for co-chairs for the next year. On May 2, 2007 the team discussed co-chair options and decided to have Hawk as a standing co-chair and to investigate alternating the second co-chair between classified and faculty members. At today's meeting, the team agreed to keep a faculty co-chair and to add a third co-chair for classified staff if there was a volunteer. Creamer and Dolen would put out a call to their respective senates for co-chairs and also general membership. Dolen would volunteer as the faculty co-chair again for next year.
3) Finalize Fujitsu Tablet PC Distribution Process
In a discussion of this item the following was clarified:
- Except for the fast track early adopters of Fujitsu machines, deployment would be guided by the same process as all other college machines
- Not all the Fujitsu money had to be spent immediately
- Fujitsu overview of the tablets and training was scheduled for June 10 & 11, 2008
- The overview and training would promote interest and explain various uses of the tablets
- First tranche requests should be submitted by end of 07-08 AY
- Online training should be provided
- There may be additional costs for additional technology to use the tablets in classrooms/labs
- Fujitsu tablets would be supported by ETS
- ETS defines business computers as non classroom based. Fujitsu tablets would be considered business computers because of the quantity
The team agreed to the following criteria to assist in allocation of the tablet PCs:
There must be an instructional objective. Describe your instructional objective.
The unique technology (pen based computing) must be utilized. How would you use this new technology to meet your instructional objective/s?
Tablets are only PC based which necessitates the use of Windows XP. I understand the tablets are PC based only.
What software would you need for this computer?
Are you on the faculty computer refresh list? (Extra points for being on refresh list)
Wireless: Wireless is now working. There would be a test site in Administration. A list of faculty, staff and students for beta testing in June was requested. A prioritization list for installation locations was needed.
Present: Creamer, Dolen, Heffner, Hawk, Kahn, Luciw, Metcalf.