Creative Arts Division
- Thursday, June 11: De Anza Chamber Orchestra — 7:30 PM. $10, $5 students. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College.
- Friday, June 12: Student Recital — Vocalist Kayla Wilfong presents a student recital. 6:30 PM. FREE ADMISSION. Room A11, De Anza College.
- Sunday, June 14: Piano Recital — De Anza piano students perform music by Debussy, Ravel, Chopin, Brahms, Scarlatti, and Prokofiev. Faculty member John Thomsen will also perform. 7:00 PM. Room A-11. FREE ADMISSION.
- Monday, June 15: Chorale and Vintage Singers — “A Night at the Theatre: The Lighter Side of Choral Music.” 7:30 PM, Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College (subject to change). $10, $5 students.
- Wednesday, June 17: 34th Annual Patnoe Jazz Festival — Vocalist Jamie Davis, Saxophonist Noel Jewkes, the De Anza Jazz Ensemble, the Daddios Big Band. 7:30 PM. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $15 / $10 students.
- Saturday, June 20: De Anza Wind Ensemble — Spring Concert. 7:30 PM. Visual And Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $5.
- Monday, June 22: De Anza Chamber Orchestra — 7:30 PM. $10, $5 students. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College.
Anza College is the second California community college to be named an
"All-Steinway Institution." Faculty and students can teach, learn, and
perform on the instruments used by 95% of internationally renowned
Vocal MusicThe Vocal Music Program at De Anza College offers many opportunities for students to participate in both performance ensembles and solo presentations and study. Listed here is information regarding the classes, along with performance dates, audition explanations, and links to the faculty who are involved in making this program one of the strongest among California Community Colleges.
(Visit the De Anza College web site and the current schedule of classes for scheduling and other information about these classes.)
Vintage SingersThis select vocal ensemble provides the De Anza student the opportunity to perform chamber choral literature in a setting of auditioned voices. Repertoire is chosen from the various musical periods including Renaissance, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary. The Vintage Singers maintain a schedule of performances both on campus and in the community for a variety of functions and events. Past performances have included appearances at state and regional music conventions, festivals, and community events. Vocal auditions are held during the first two class meetings each quarter. You will find the Vintage Singers listed in the schedule of classes as: Music 21.
Audition Information: Auditions for this ensemble take place during the first two class meetings of each quarter. Students need not prepare an audition piece, as the audition material will be presented to all during the first class meeting. Students are expected to demonstrate a grasp of ensemble singing, tonal and rhythmic retention, controlled vocal quality, and the ability to learn separate parts quickly. Music reading is not required, but some knowledge of it is most helpful.
De Anza ChoraleThis mixed-voice ensemble meets in the evening. The Chorale performs a wide variety of choral literature from the classics to contemporary. Each quarter, the Chorale performs at a major concert either on campus or at a local venue. Placement auditions are held during the first meeting of the class. Singers of all ages are welcomed, especially tenors and basses. You will find the Chorale listed in the schedule of classes as: Music 20.
Audition Information: The placement audition is held during the first class meeting of each quarter. No prepared audition piece is required, but students will be expected to demonstrate their vocal range, tone retention, and tonal quality. The ability to sight read music is helpful, but not required for this ensemble.
Beginning Singing I and IIMusic 13A and 13B (Beginning Singing I and II) offer instruction in techniques of solo and group singing. Training in tonal production and control, breathing, diction, and musical accuracy are all accomplished in a group setting. These classes are designed for beginning singers, and also accomplished singers who wish to refresh their vocal technique skills. Consult the class schedule for times of offerings.
Performing groups and classes are open to all De Anza College students!
Performing GroupsDe Anza Chorale
Jazz Vocal Groups
Symphonic Wind Ensemble
GE Music Classes
Introduction to Music classes (Music 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E) fulfill many transfer and certificate requirements for general education students, can apply to completion of the Music AA degree, and provide a general introduction to the art of music.
Beginning Music ClassesVoice
Intro to Electronic Music
Intermediate Electronic Music