|Speech Communication at
De Anza College
Speech Communication Department at De Anza College offers a range of
opportunities to study in the field of Speech Communication. Whether
you want to personally develop confidence, improve communication
skills, increase career success, complete g.e. repuirements,
participate in Speech and Debate, obtain a Speech Communication
Certificate, or major in Speech Communication--our program allows you to meet your own personal needs.
Why take Speech courses? Sudents find many benefits in taking speech courses.
We invite you to read other current and past student testimonials or to write your own and send it to our web editor Donna Stasio.
my first speech class I realized that Speech Communication is the key
to success in all areas of my life. No matter how much knowlege or
skills I will gain in my personal or professional life, without the
ability to communicate it can't be shared and without the ability to
listen, I won't be successful." -Sharon Rose, De Anza Alumni
Communication makes you more valuable to your business, family and
relationships. It makes you more sensitive to other people. It is fun,
not scary." - Chris Costanzo, De Anza Student, Speech Communication
Major, Debate Team Member
The ways in which we communicate contribute significantly to the quality of our lives. Our
Speech Communication Department faculty seek to create a stimulating
and supportive learning environment and to meet the diverse and
changing needs of our students, our department, and the college. We are
here to help students gain greater knowledge and skill in Speech
Communication as a means to developing their own potential.
|In our classrooms we celebrate our students diverse cultures, traditions, perspectives, voices, and goals. We
are constantly updating our courses, exploring new ideas, and sharing
information to foster our own professional growth and to provide the
best possible opportunities to our students.|
- Value every student as an individual with his/her needs, goals and learning styles.
- Challenge our students with a spirit of inquiry, discovery, dialog and reflection.
an environment where diverse cultures, abilities, and needs are
respected and where differences offer productive opportunities for
learning and personal fulfillment.
- Develop a dynamic curriculum that reflects both traditional and emerging schools of thought in our discipline.
- Provide every student with opportunities to simultaneously acquire knowledge and develop skill through practice.
students become critical and independent thinkers and problem solvers by providing
opportunities to work in self-regulated teams in order to develop small group collaboration skills, listening, deliberation, conflict management, argumentation, problem solving,
- Remain faithful to our task of promoting personal integrity.
- Provide opportunities for students to successfully use technology for research and developing presentations.
- Prepare students to use effective communication skills in their personal and professional lives.
- Raise consciousness of our global interdependence and responsibility.