Speech and Debate TeamSpeech and Debate Team Wraps Up a Productive Season
The De Anza Speech and Debate Team wrapped up its season this past weekend at the California Community College State Championship Tournament. It was a nice ending to a productive year, with 5 students attending the tournament and team veteran Tony Martinez taking home a Bronze Award in Parliamentary Debate.
This year was a rebuilding year for the team, which meant lots of learning and growing, but fewer trophies. Luckily, it looks like we'll have a nice group continuing with us for next year, and DASB was generous enough to grant our travel funding request, so it looks like we are well positioned for a successful 2012-2013 season.
Even though there is little opportunity for competition during Spring Quarter, now is actually a great time for you to join the team, since we will be doing lots of workshops and practice rounds to prepare for next year. We'll be meeting on Monday and Wednesday afternoons during spring quarter, from 4:30-6:15, in room L32.
Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Join The De Anza Speech and Debate Team:
10. You can travel to tournaments and see exotic places like Stockton and Santa Rosa!
9. You'll be following in the footsteps of John F. Kennedy, Nelson Mandela, and Adam Sandler (who all did speech and debate in college).
8. You can put it on your resume and impress people.
7. You can earn up to 4 units of credit by enrolling in Speech 78.
6. Where else can you argue about U.S. foreign policy with North Korea?
5. When people ask you for your opinion, you'll have so much to say that they'll be bowing at your feet, begging for mercy.
4. When you debate your instructors, the rest of the class will be nodding and thinking "Oooohh...that's a good point!"
3. No more speech anxiety! 100% more confidence!
2. You get to learn methods of sophistry so you'll always win arguments with family and friends.
1. It's just good, clean fun!
How to Join the Team:
Don't hesitate to join us on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30-6:10pm in L32.
We'll be practicing Parliamentary Debate as well as Individual Events, such as informative, persuasive and impromptu speaking, in a fun and relaxed atmosphere.
If you have any questions, please call 408-864-8799 or e-mail email@example.com.