Music ClassesThe De Anza Music Department offers courses for everyone from beginners to music majors. You can take day, evening, and online sections of courses that fulfill degree and transfer general education requirements.
- Take comprehensive musicianship (sometimes known as music theory and musicianship) as the core of the lower division college degree program.
- Join a vocal, instrumental, or jazz performing group.
- Take a beginning instrument or voice class.
- Learn to read music and more in music fundamentals class.
- Discover Electronic Music.
Fall 2013 courses(This overview does not include all available music class sections, so please see the current schedule of classes at the De Anza College web site.)Introduction to Music classes fulfill "humanities and arts" general education (GE) requirements and some music transfer and certificate requirements:
Performing Ensembles - Join one of our ensembles - they are open to all De Anza students!
- Music 1A - Introduction to Music: Music in Western Cultures
- 9:30AM-10:20AM MTWTh
- 10:30AM-11:20AM MTWTh
- 2:30PM-4:20PM MW
- 4:30PM-6:20PM MW
- Distance learning
- Music 1B - Introduction to Music: Jazz Styles
- Music 1D - Introduction to Music: From Roots to Rap
- Music 1E - Introduction to Music: Latin America and the Caribbean
Instrumental/Vocal techniques classes - many start at the beginner level, so you can learn to play an instrument or sing.
- Music 20: De Anza Chorale - 6:30PM-10:20PM M
- Music 21: Vintage Singers - 11:30AM-12:20PM (1:20PM Friday) MWF
- Music 31: Chamber Orchestra - 7:30PM-11:20PM Th
- Music 34 Jazz Ensemble - 4:30PM-6:20PM MW
- Music 42: Symphonic Wind Ensemble - 12:30PM-2:20PM MW
- Music 48 & 68 - Jazz Improvisation I, II - 6:30PM-9:20PM M
Comprehensive Musicianship ("music theory") and Music Fundamentals - Comprehensive Musicianship is the core two-year music major sequence preparing students to transfer into a music major at the junior level. Each one year sequence (Music 3ABC and Music 4ABC begins in the fall term and continues through the winter and spring terms. Music Fundamentals is an introductory level course for students looking for basic skills in related areas and/or preparing to enroll in Comprehensive Musicianship.
- Music 12ABC - Class Piano I, II, III - consult the schedule of classes
- Music 13ABC - Beginning Singing I, II - consult the schedule of classes
- Music 14ABC - Classical Guitar I, II - consult the schedule of classes
- Music 18 - Intermediate Piano - 8:30AM-9:20AM MWF
- Music 32AB - Jazz Solo Voice I, II - 6:30PM-9:20PM TTh
- Music 9 - Jazz Piano I - 6:30PM-9:20PM T
- Music 69B - Jazz Piano II - 6:30PM-9:20PM T
Electronic Music - An introductory class (Music 51) is offered every quarter for students who want to learn about using various technologies to produce music. An intermediate class (Music 8) is offered during the winter and spring term.
- Music 10A - Music Fundamentals - 9:30AM-10:45AM TTh
- Music 3A - Comprehensive Musicianship I (first year) - 9:30AM-10:20AM MTWThF
- Music 4A - Comprehensive Musicianship II (second year) - 8:30AM-9:20AM MTWThF
This overview does not include all available music classes, so please check the current schedule of classes at the De Anza College web site.
- Music 51 - Introduction to Electronic Music
- 12:30PM-2:20PM MW
- 10:30AM-1:20PM Friday
Find more information on the Music Classes page.
Performing GroupsDo you wish you could play in the band or orchestra or sing in the choir? At De Anza College you can! Vocal, instrumental, and jazz performing groups are open to all De Anza students. Instrumental groups include a wind ensemble and chamber orchestra and guitar ensemble. There are choral groups for students of all levels and interests. The department has excellent vocal and instrumental jazz groups. Find out more on the Performing Groups page.
Concerts and EventsMusic Department performing groups present public concerts each quarter. Student recitals and ensemble performances are featured during the final weeks of each quarter. Consult the Concerts and Events page for current information, and check the events page at the De Anza College web site. A list of department end-of-term concerts is available here.
Music FacultyThe Music Department Faculty includes teachers with broad experience in classical, jazz and popular music; voice, piano, guitar, brass, woodwinds and strings; electronic music; and composition and music theory. Many are active professional performers.
Performing groups and classes are open to all De Anza College students!
Performing GroupsDe Anza Chorale
Jazz Vocal Groups
Symphonic Wind Ensemble
Daddios Jazz Ensemble
GE Music Classes
Introduction to Music classes (Music 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E) fulfill many transfer and certificate requirements for general education students, can apply to completion of the Music AA degree, and provide a general introduction to the art of music.
Beginning Music ClassesVoice
Intro to Electronic Music
Intermediate Electronic Music